Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Louis L'Amour's The Walking Drum

image description


A great historical adventure novel(plot summary) written by Louis L'Amour, who is dead, unfortunately, because if I ever wanted a sequel to a book, it would be to this one.

I first read The Walking Drum years ago(I'm not saying how many!) when I was a mere high school student. And no, it wasn't required reading! I became enthralled with the exotic locations(Russia, Turkey, and the Middle East) and the era(12th century). Such was the condition of public schools, that we were exposed primarily to European history, and when the time came, to American, but not much else. Too bad. There is a whole wide world out there.

L'Amour's philosophical style, as well as his lead character's strong thirst for learning, inspired me to study beyond the history of my ancestors. Immediately upon finishing the book, I went to the library(this was before google, or as I like to call it, BG) to find more books about the cultures covered in The Walking Drum. L'Amour's enthusiasm was so contagious, I lamented my inability to time travel so that I too might wander the Street of the Booksellers in Cordoba.

Yes, the lead character can be arrogant and larger-than-life, but that's exactly why I like him. A little boldness is sometimes called for in adventuring. If you want a tragic or everyday hero, go read Harry Potter.

L'Amour's books are typically well-researched, and while some critics note there are small historical inaccuracies in The Walking Drum, none are unreasonable or distract from the story. I'm amused when people complain about a fiction book not being 100% accurate. What part of the word 'fiction' do they not understand? Who cares if the weapons he gave to characters weren't used until thirty years after the period he was writing about? Only anal-retentive highbrow intellectuals who snub anyone who doesn't write esoteric, complex literature.

If you feel like being a smarty pants, there are plenty of good Camus and Dostoyevsky novels. But if you simply want a great adventure where you learn a little along the way, The Walking Drum is for you. Yol bolsun!
  

1 comment:

  1. Never heard of this one. I like historical fiction. I'll have ta check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete